U.Va. accepts 20.5 percent of applicants for Class of 2024

Office of Admission prepares for the effects COVID-19 regulations may have on the incoming class

<p>The University's Office of Undergraduate Admission is located in Peabody Hall.</p>

The University's Office of Undergraduate Admission is located in Peabody Hall.

The University’s Office of Undergraduate Admission released regular decision offers for the Class of 2024 Wednesday evening, accepting 20.5 percent of its record-breaking 40,971 applicants. Last year, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions received 40,839 applications and had a 23.8 percent acceptance rate.

The University offered admission to 8,420 applicants from all three application rounds, including early decision, early action and regular decision — a significant decrease from last year’s offer of admission to 9,778 students. 

The acceptance rate was 32.5 percent for students from Virginia, compared to last year’s 36.2 percent in-state offer-rate. Of out-of-state applicants, 15.4 percent were admitted — down from last year’s 18.8 percent.

Out of the 8,420 total offers, 40.5 percent were to minority students, which includes foreign national students — an increase from last year when 36.8 percent of offers were given to minority students.

This year, 9.2 percent of admitted students identify as African American, 7.8 percent as Hispanic, 17.8 percent as Asian and 6.1 percent as multiracial. About five percent of admitted students did not list their race.

Additionally, 12.7 percent of all application offers went to first-generation students, while 11.2 percent were given to legacy students. Both of these statistics are slight increases from last year’s offerings of 11.4 percent and 10.3 percent, respectively. 

Due to the University’s operational adjustments in accordance with COVID-19 guidelines, all informational tours and Days on the Lawn programs are canceled. The Office of Admission is preparing new ways to welcome newly admitted undergraduates to the University community and plans to be in touch with students soon.

Summer orientation for new students is set to occur as scheduled in July and August. However, the Admissions Office is prepared to make adjustments, should changes have to be made due to COVID-19 regulations.

Due to the closure of numerous high schools nationwide, the Office of Admission has expressed willingness to work closely with students who have been admitted to obtain senior transcript results, even if delayed.

Students who have been offered admission have until May 1 to accept.