Outkast to play U-Hall next month

The rap duo Outkast will perform in University Hall next month, bringing some of the top sounds in today's hip-hop to the University.

Tickets for the upcoming concert will go on sale next Monday, Oct. 1.

Rumors circulated last spring that Outkast would perform as part of Spring Fling weekend, but that concert never developed past the brainstorming level, according to PK German Chairman Jbeau Lewis. PK German is the University Programs Council committee in charge of all on-Grounds concerts.

Outkast last performed at University Hall in 1999.

Lewis said UPC chose Outkast because of its appeal to a wide range of audiences.

"As with anything UPC does, the challenge for PK German was to program to suit the diversity and wants of students," he said.

Program coordinator Emily Guest said PK German considered hosting musical groups of several different genres, including Counting Crows, but decided Outkast appealed to the largest portion of the University community.

"We got a lot of input from people who joined the committee at the activities fair," Guest said. "Everyone agreed on Outkast."

Guest said PK German members also agreed that the special guest performers, 2 Skinnee J's, will attract an even more diverse audience to the concert because the band is more of a rock group.

Guest added that Outkast also was within UPC's price range, which always is taken into consideration.

Floor tickets for University students are $29.50 and student balcony tickets will cost $19.50. For the general public, floor tickets are $32.50 and balcony tickets will go for $27.50.

Lewis said this is one of the more expensive shows that UPC has sponsored at University Hall. The prices are, however, in line with trends in concerts nation-wide, he added.

Outkast's current release, "Stankonia," debuted in late 2000 at number two on the Billboard charts and went triple-platinum only a few months later.

Fourth-year Engineering student Matt Edwards said he looks forward to seeing a musical group from his hometown of Atlanta perform on Grounds.

"Being from Atlanta, I've listened to Outkast for years but I've never seen them in concert," Edwards said. "I missed their concert my first year so I'll definitely see them this time."

Second-year College student Allison Correll said she plans on purchasing tickets for the concert because she enjoyed last fall's MTV Campus Invasion show, which featured Wyclef, another rap artist.

"My friend and I love to go to concerts together and last year we saw Wyclef and we're going to go this year and make a tradition of it," Correll said.

Tickets may be purchased at the Newcomb Hall Box Office, all Plan 9 locations, by phone at 434-924-7314, or by visiting www.uvaupc.musictoday.com.