Shaving heads, saving lives

St. Baldrick’s Foundation raises money to support childhood cancer research

<p>Thursday night at the Biltmore, 75 volunteers shaved their heads to raise a total of $42,571 for childhood cancer research.</p>

Thursday night at the Biltmore, 75 volunteers shaved their heads to raise a total of $42,571 for childhood cancer research.

Seventy-five volunteers shaved their heads Thursday night at Biltmore to raise $42,571 for childhood cancer research through the St. Baldrick’s Foundation.

The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is a national organization interested in raising money for cancer research by holding events like these throughout the United States and in other countries. The largest non-government funder of research for childhood cancers, St. Baldrick’s has been at work since 2000. According to the organization’s website, in 2014 the foundation reached a total of $38,965,915 in donations.

“St. Baldrick’s raises funds in a unique and fun way, through its signature head-shaving events where volunteers shave their heads to stand in solidarity with kids with cancer,” St. Baldrick’s Media and PR Manager Traci Shirk said in an email. “It’s a clear and visible sign of people taking action and helping to conquer childhood cancers.”

Adult cancers occur more frequently, and draw a large portion of the U.S. federal funding for cancer research. According to the St. Baldrick’s website, only four percent of the U.S. federal funding for cancer research goes to research for childhood cancers.

“St. Baldrick’s is helping to raise awareness and funds for research that will find better treatments and cures for kids fighting cancer,” Shirk said in an email. “Childhood cancer research is largely underfunded and organizations like St. Baldrick’s are needed to help fill that gap.”

Shirk said the organization brings a sense of community to the cause, which compels people to continue volunteering.

“The fact that every three minutes a child is diagnosed with cancer worldwide and in the U.S. one in five kids diagnosed will not survive, is unacceptable,” Shirk said in an email. “I have had the opportunity to meet the most wonderful, inspiring, generous, courageous people around the country — St. Baldrick’s volunteers, donors and families.”

In addition to raising money for the cause, St. Baldrick’s aims to foster a bond between those who have cancer and those who want to help.

“When people shave their heads, they stand in solidarity with those who have cancer,” said third-year College student Javier Badillo, vice president of St. Baldrick’s at the University. “[Because of the events], I feel like there’s more of a connection with the participants and those who are helping.”

Although many volunteers shave their heads for the St. Baldrick’s event, there are other ways to aid the cause.

“Anyone can get involved. You can still be a volunteer and not necessarily shave your head,” third-year College student Wayne Fullen, President of Executive Board for the University chapter of St. Baldrick’s, said. “We look for any donation of time, money and effort — it’s all appreciated and it all goes towards our goal.”

Fourth-year College student Emily Moore, the University St. Baldrick’s chapter’s public relations chair, said the shaving events foster a sense of community among volunteers.

“It just kind of brings out the best in everybody,” Moore said. “The cause in general is so special because you see how much these people are giving up. It’s a very powerful experience because it’s so personal to so many people.”

Fullen said he dedicated himself to the organization after coming to the University because of the personal stories he heard from everyone about cancer.

“I’ve floated amongst organizations, but I’ve definitely just committed myself to this, and I think it’s just because you hear people’s stories and testimonies,” Fullen said. “It’s kind of a motivation because there’s no kids related to me who have been affected with cancer, but I know of friends, and you can ask anybody and they know somebody who knows a kid who’s been affected by cancer.”