Student organizations extend resources and statements following Sunday’s shooting

In the wake of loss, University community seeks to support those struggling

Student organizations across Grounds have pooled resources and efforts to support students in the wake of Sunday. From memorial runs to material resources and food, student leaders are responding to the aftermath by providing students various ways to come together as a community and begin healing. 

Three members of the Virginia football team — second-year College student Devin Chandler, third-year College student Lavel Davis and fourth-year College student D’Sean Perry — were fatally shot Sunday while returning from a field trip in Washington, D.C. Two other students, third-year College student Mike Hollins and second-year College student Marlee Morgan were injured. Suspect Christopher Darnell Jones Jr. has been arrested and charged with three counts of second degree murder and three counts of possession of a handgun in the commission of a felony.

The Virginia Running Club has joined forces with Peer Health Educators to aid with its 4th Year 5K, an annual event aimed to encourage safe drinking habits Saturday. PHE released a statement detailing that proceeds from the event will go to benefit the individuals and families impacted by the shooting as well as the Leslie Baltz Foundation. 

In addition to events and hands-on resources, many organizations have compiled lists of psychological support resources available to students in order to make information easily accessible. Walk-in counseling services were available Monday and Tuesday at Slaughter Recreation Center, and therapy dogs have been available at Newcomb Hall and the Family and Community Assistance Center. University President Jim Ryan has opened his home for the duration of the week between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.

Other mental health resources include Counseling and Psychological Services, which can be reached at 434-243-5150, and TimelyCare. The University has also established an Emergency Hotline at 877-685-4836 for family and friends with questions.

To encourage building community, Student Council announced that organizations looking to host events in the coming days can receive reimbursements of up to $100 for food and beverages thanks to a recent gift from the U.Va. Parent’s Fund. 

Madison House also released a statement Monday with the CAPS phone number and encouraged students to check in with each other.

“This loss takes a deep toll on the community,” the statement reads. “Even as our heart aches, we will endeavor to get through this together.”

Madison House also offers HELP Line, a free and confidential telephone hotline service for Albemarle County, the City of Charlottesville and students at the University at 434-924-TALK.

In addition to sharing their support, other CIOs and student-run organizations around Grounds have hosted events and provided food. 

Classes resumed Wednesday, roughly 48 hours after the shelter in place order was lifted. Some students have expressed concern about returning to the classroom so soon, prompting a petition for U.Va. to cancel class up until Thanksgiving break with more than 2,500 signatures. No undergraduate students are expected to complete graded assignments or take exams before Thanksgiving break.

The Honor Committee is also offering support for any student wishing to secure short-term academic extensions. The Committee is asking students to email honor@virginia.edu with requests for assistance navigating upcoming academic requirements. The Committee also handed out donuts on the South Lawn Wednesday morning and invited students to come with any questions they might have about Honor’s academic assistance program. 

A memorial service for Chandler, Davis and Perry as well as Hollins and Morgan will be held Saturday at 3:30 p.m. in the John Paul Jones Arena. It will be open to the public and live streamed — seating is first-come, first-serve, with overflow seating available in Klockner Stadium and Old Cabell Hall.