Making the most of moving away

A guide for handling homesickness

Whether you’re a first-year who’s just moved to the University from an hour away or a third-year exchange student like myself — who’s moved 3,700 miles away from the small village you call home in England — feeling homesick is likely to affect us all at some point while we’re away at school. By the time you’ve ridden the initial wave of craziness in the first few weeks — meetings and parties, fresher’s events and lectures, getting lost and finding friends, all merging into an inextricable blur — the homesickness starts to kick in.

“This isn’t how my mum makes it,” you think as you cry into your mac and cheese in the dining hall. “My dogs are probably wondering why I abandoned them,” you realize tearfully as you watch a guide dog sitting peacefully in your class. “I wish I was back home where I never got lost,” you sigh as you find yourself wandering the corridors in Nau Hall again — honestly, how is it possible to get lost in there three times in a single week!?

Homesickness is a normal part of adjusting, and often we feel pressure to act like everything is fine because university is supposed to be ‘the best time of your life.’ And it can be. But it can also be overwhelming and stressful as you transition into your new life. Here are my top tips for how to avoid and handle homesickness while you make the most of your university experience:

1. Stay busy. Whether it’s going to the astounding number of sports games, multitude of restaurants (with over 450 to choose from in Charlottesville, you could go to a different one every day!) or keeping up with the insane workload, there’s always something to keep you occupied. I’ve been here for a month now and have hardly had a chance to think about being homesick because I’ve been so busy! Do something you love or even something new — whether this is joining a sports team, taking part in cooking classes or just going to Arch’s for a delicious frozen yogurt dessert.

2. Keep connected to your family and friends back home to make you feel more involved with your old life. Call your parents, text your friends or FaceTime your dog — share your experiences and let them know how you’re feeling. But try not to spend all day on social media — Charlottesville needs to be explored!

3. Decorate your dorm room. Fairy lights and pictures of your family and friends will make your room a home away from home. The only problem with this will be that you won’t want to leave! Make sure you don’t hide away in there though — despite how tempting it is to stay in your bed and binge-watch Game of Thrones all day — this will only make you feel more isolated.

4. Make a list of what you want to do while at the University so you have something to look forward to. Take a trip to Washington, D.C., hike around Shenandoah National Park or go to an American football game. I would definitely recommend this last one — nothing will make you feel more like you fit in than standing in a sea of people dressed in orange and cheering for the Cavaliers.

5. Think positive. See the opportunity in every day, rather than worrying about what you’re missing at home. Try not to think of the two dogs back in England that don’t understand where you’ve gone (*sob*). You’ll see their wagging tails in no time.

It’s completely understandable to miss home, but it’s important to remember that you’ll be back there soon — and probably missing Charlottesville and all your new college friends. Make the most of your adventure while you can — before you’re thrown into the real world and college life is nothing but a distant memory.