​DEZOORT: Modernize the Engineering School

Updating Engineering students’ facilities will improve their academic experience

The University’s Engineering School is practically synonymous with technology, design and, increasingly, entrepreneurship. After all, its students are pushing the boundaries in both the lab and tech industries. An atmosphere of innovation permeates the Engineering School grounds, flourishing in laboratories and conversation alike. Buildings such as Rice Hall exemplify a sleek, modern look which contributes to that atmosphere. However, this modernization is not consistent across the Engineering School grounds. For example, Thornton Hall, the "central home" of the school, suffers from a severe lack of aesthetic appeal and intuitive layout. As the Engineering School builds innovative momentum, it must address the widening gap between the appearances of its facilities.

Housing several departments and deans, Thornton Hall serves as the face of the Engineering School. Engineering guided tours begin in the A-Wing (as denoted by signs in Thornton’s entrance), and it is a venue for many events. On the outside, Thornton is an old, University-style brick building. It surrounds Darden Courtyard, a fantastic example of the natural beauty strewn across Grounds. Inside, though, Thornton is dimly lit and old. It is a maze of uniformly faded-white hallways, some marked with bulletin boards and others left plain. Surrounded by similar buildings, such a layout might not seem so out of place. In the presence of newer buildings like Rice Hall, though, Thornton stands out like a sore thumb. What exactly does Rice have that Thornton doesn’t? For starters, it looks amazing. Its desks, chairs and tables are brand new, and are equipped with an abundance of outlets. Monitors are placed in its well-lit hallways, each playing the science channel or inspirational quotes. It has design labs and a large, beautiful lecture hall. Put succinctly, Rice is an exciting environment, one that almost compels a student to learn.

Interestingly enough, most buildings in the Engineering School fall into generalized forms of these two descriptions. This polarity creates a jarring discontinuity for students moving between classes. Personally, I find it much easier to stay alert during lectures in Rice Hall than in Thornton, and I’m willing to attribute that fact directly to the facilities. Put generally, it’s not quite fitting to study the forefront of science and technology in a building that feels incredibly dated. It’s simply easier to sit in Rice’s comfortable, rolling chairs. It’s more pleasant to look at dark ink on a white dry erase board.

This is not to say Thornton lacks comfortable learning spaces. Though a lot of students find themselves studying in the brand new Wilsdorf and Rice Cafés, many also find themselves in Thornton’s stacks and its recently renovated room A238. As it turns out, these four are some of the most used study spaces in the Engineering School. The common denominator between them is that each is modern, comfortable and technologically compatible. Why, then, are half of the engineering lecture halls and facilities left by the wayside?

There’s absolutely a historical argument to be made for Thornton Hall’s appearance. After all, it’s been expanding in the same style since its construction in 1935. However, its external aesthetic isn’t the problem. For reference, it’s useful to take a look at the room A238 renovations. This summer, the Engineering & Society Department had its walls painted sharp gray, replaced old wooden benches with rolling chairs and high stools, and updated its drab curtains. The department is currently in the process of adding more electrical outlets to the room. The room is still the same, but is much more inviting and comfortable.

The A238 renovations are a perfect example of what needs to change in the older E-School buildings. No history is lost in some touch-ups and additions. I say paint the walls, update the doors, add some monitors, increase the lighting, build some windows and start showcasing student projects. In addition, the men’s bathroom in Thornton’s A-Wing is incredibly inaccessible. In fact, it’s located in the basement, the door to which is often locked. On a higher level, though, Thornton should be bright, comfortable and inviting. With some simple aesthetic changes, A238 is now a completely different room. The same is possible for Thornton.

As the engineering school grows, it should not selectively modernize. Instead, it should ensure all of its facilities reflect its direction: technological and design innovation. Updating Thornton alone won’t unify the whole Engineering School design. After all, a few other buildings exist within the same dated appearance. However, it would mark a huge step in the Engineering School’s path toward a cutting edge, modernized atmosphere. Seeing as how Rice Hall is the newest building in the Engineering School, it’s clear the school is heading in that direction. It makes me wonder — why can’t we hold the face of the Engineering School to the same standard?

Gage DeZoort is an Opinion columnist for the Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at g.dezoort@cavalierdaily.com.