Your community, your paper

The 126th Managing Board defines its vision

As The Cavalier Daily enters its 126th term, among myriad ambitions, we have one overarching aim: to serve the students of the University in whatever capacity is needed.

Last semester proved the value of student journalism — not just for the news it provides, but for the initiative it spurs. With this in mind, we have defined a mission statement for this term: “to provide the University community with new, relevant and insightful information that inspires critical conversation and even action on Grounds.”

We are indebted to the incredible work of the 125th Managing Board, who handled tumult bravely, never shied away from unprecedented challenges and admirably delved into topics that affected not only our readers but also we, ourselves — the students who put this paper together.

And this demonstrates the inherent difficulty of our work: we must report on a community in which we are also members. We write about a populace we are a part of — and as such, we challenge ourselves to be critical, to research and to face facts we might otherwise choose to ignore.

Like our predecessors, we have specific goals: to maximize efficiency, to make a more visually accessible product and to be transparent to our staff and to our readers. But our most important goal is — and will remain — to serve you. Use us as your resource. We have the tools and manpower to investigate, to interview and to analyze; over the course of the cumulative hundreds of hours we put into this paper each week, our deepest desire is to be of service to our peers and the community at large. Just as we aim to support you, we ask that you support us — by engaging with the critical issues and questions facing our school, and by demanding from us the high quality content to which you have grown accustomed. It is your recognition of the importance of this work that motivates us to do it in the first place.

Over the coming year, when we find ourselves exhausted in the office late into the night, or deep in Freedom of Information Act requests, or skipping classes to go to press conferences, we will never feel compelled to question our decision to prioritize this work over ourselves. We asked ourselves as we began this term, “Why journalism? Why The Cavalier Daily?”

Our answers differ across sections and positions, ages and interests. But we have one thing in common: we know we are the platform for the student narrative, and in that capacity, we aspire to do justice to the plethora of student experiences surrounding us. With your help, we will continue to be your platform and your resource. We implore you to stay informed and engage with us. We will seek out your stories and anticipate the information you need to hear. We are determined to be proactive, not simply reactive. At first we will face a steep learning curve, but we are prepared for this challenge. As the University grows and develops — and, we hope, improves — so will we.

We cannot overemphasize your role in this endeavor. This is your community, and this is your paper. We are merely the messengers.